Bienvenue sur le site de la commune de Grandchamp-des-Fontaines en Loire-Atlantique (44). Retrouvez toutes les informations sur la vie de la commune : actualité, agenda, associations, artisans commerçants, présentation des élus et des services municipaux.

History

You are here : Bienvenue à Grandchamp-des-Fontaines > In english > History

History

  • Origins of the name
 
In 1885, the historian Léon Maître explains it in the "Bulletins d'archéologie de la Loire Inférieure":
 
The map and documents register of Redon (le Cartulaire) designates this parish by the name of Grandis Campus, which should be translated by Grand Camp (Great Camp) and not by Grandchamp, for two reasons:
- The environment aspect goes against such a name;
- Important remnants of high banks and deep trenches can be found.
Thus this name could be justified by the presence of a reinforced camp.
 
A parish since 1790, it's only in 1920 that Grandchamp is called "des Fontaines", to distinguish from the town in the Morbihan.
 
  • The first inhabitants
 
The first dwelling of Grandchamp was probably a gallo-roman villa located near the Nagia (also known as Hocmard), unless that it was an inn on the "Via publica in plebe Gramcamp"!
 
Grandis Campis appears for the first time under Charlemagne, in the year 808 at the " Cartulaire de Redon". That is nearly 1200 years ago…
 
Parish since the IXth century, Grandchamp was crossed by the ancient Via publica, which goes from Nantes (Condevicum, Namnètes capital city) to Rennes.
 
  • Historical geography
 
The whole territory is quite uneven. North and west show a plateau, formerly covered with moors, cultivated since the middle of the 18th century and called "The Desert". The view reaches up to ten leagues and the terrain is suitable for the installation of a shelter or a fort.
 
Near the village of the Grand'H aie, we find remnants of defences called "The Big Trenches". The best-preserved part forms a straight line that goes north to south from the lake of Haut Fay in Héric to the village of Chanay in Grandchamp: this road is nearly two kilometre long.
 
"The Big Trenches" may have been the scene of fights as there was a field called "Saracen's Graveyard". In 1830, a round fortification with a diameter of about 20 metres was still here. The name of Grand'Haie is an indication: first feudal castles were surrounded by ditches so called.